I love having fresh muffins on hand for a quick snack but it is often hard to find muffin recipes that are both healthy and simple to make. Loaded with fresh apples and grated carrots, this recipe is a staple in our household, and keeps us fuelled through many hectic weeks.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped apples (unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
First things first, pour a nice glass of wine for the cook. You’ll need your whits about you, so quality over quantity!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and blend until just moistened but still slightly lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake until springy to touch, about 25 minutes.
- Tip: fill a small oven proof bowl with water and place in the oven with muffins. The evaporated water will adds moistness.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
Last but not least, settle in with a freshly cooled muffin and celebratory glass of wine, and enjoy the fruits of your labour.